The Importance of Socializing for Elders
According to the research socializing plays a very important role in the life of an individual. It is an essential aspect of healthy aging. Socializing can surely add years to the life of an aging senior and a senior needs all kinds of stimulation. Usually elderly are isolated both socially as well as physically. Getting out and interacting with others is the best antidote for living a fulfilled life during retirement years.
Some of the long term benefits of socializing are:
- Promotes physical fitness
- Improves cardiac health
- Lowers blood pressure
- Improves the nutrition and diet
- Boosts the confidence
- Alleviates stress and depression
- Improves sleep
- Promotes brain health
- Reduces the symptoms of memory problems
- Decreases the perception of pain
- Increases happiness and gives a feeling of contentment and high self esteem
Thus, social interaction plays a vital role for the physical and emotional well being of senior citizens. As the retirement age approaches, elderly get more susceptible to negligence and isolation. Usually children leave home and opportunities for meeting people decrease as often senior citizens tend to be dependent on others for transportation. Also, there might be widows or widowers that increases the loneliness further and leads to depression.
Remember, socializing develops a sense of belonging, sharpens your mind and helps you stay connected with the rest of the world. Senior citizens might not be willing but they surely need some encouragement. Parents and grandchildren should make them socially involved and coax them into engaging in fun activities.
How can elders benefit social therapy?
- Pet therapy always works and helps you stay emotionally connected without any feeling of insecurity.
- Learn new skills and anything that interests you. Explore beyond your horizons.
- Get someones to teach you internet and get marveled by the amazing virtual world.
- Community exercise programs can help senior citizens immensely. Bones and muscles need to be worked to add years to the life and prevent aging.
- A senior citizen can join a book club or volunteer for a community service.
- Plan for your future and think of getting retired among like minded people in exotic retirement resorts.
Retirement homes like Aamoksh retirement resorts, first of its kind in India provide accommodation for the retired and older people. It is situated in the foothills of Kodaikanal among lush green surroundings where the weather is pleasant all year around. There are attractive options providing you high quality of life and amenities. There is nothing like spending your life with like minded people and enjoying word class facilities. Get social, stay young and be fit as fiddle!